Thursday, June 4, 2009

Glass Ceiling?

I haven't got to the top of management so I haven't really encountered the "glass ceiling" issue that many immigrants complain about. However, I do feel frustrated from time to time when fighting with the stereotyping of immigrant. Somehow some Americans just automatically assume that as a foreigner you are not as competent as an American. Of course, there is the language barrier. I still learn new English words every day, probably will never speak as well as a native born. Just as a stutter will not earn much respect, neither will a foreigner who is trying hard to communicate in a very different language.

As an immigrant from a developing country, I can't help but being very sensitive about other people's respect, sometimes even over sensitive about it. But if I am comparing myself with my colleagues, race is inevitably an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment