There are a lot more allergy medicines on the American market and I was wondering why. First I thought Americans are a bunch of spoiled kids that complain about everything, even the slightest irritation in life. Come on! You can't be seriously allergic to water melons!
However, something must be quite potent on this continent. The second spring after being here, I started to have dry, itchy eyes, coughing, runny nose, stuffy throat, slight headache: all severe symptoms of allergy. I've caught the "Chinese immigrant disease": spring allergy.
Interesting thing is, I was perfectly fine the first year. When you think you should have been assimilated to the surroundings, bang! This irritating thing hits you out of the blue. I still don't understand why there is a delay in the reaction.